Welcome back to the Post Up! Let us break away from the grind of the playoffs for just a few minutes and talk about something that happened in the news recently. This is coming a little late, I apologize, but this is something that is so inspiring that it cannot possibly be ignored. The Seattle SuperSonics might be making their way back to the NBA! Without further waiting, let’s dive in to see what happened, and what could possibly happen to result in a resurgence of the beloved SuperSonics.
In the Beginning:
It was a cool, crisp climate that faithful day. The signs of spring were around us, yet in Milwaukee the high was right around 35 degrees. The weather almost predicted what was to come of that day. Haha, nah, I am just kidding with you guys, I’m not here to write you America’s next novel.
So this is what happened. On April 16, 2014, long time owner Herb Kohl (as shown above), decided it was time to call it quits on the Milwaukee Bucks and sell them to New York billionaires Wesley Edens & Marc Lasry for $550 million. Now the tag team of Edens and Lasry have come out and already said they want to keep the Bucks in Milwaukee and to actually throw them a cool $100 million to build a new stadium.
However, I personally think that this is a bunch of hogwash, and here is why.
1) The Bucks are not a very good team, and a new stadium will not make people forget that, just look at the Miami Marlins.
2) Milwaukee is by no means a basketball city. They have been slowly declining in attendance the past few years and actually were dead last this past season.
3) Chicago is a big market and they have issues drawing superstars, the Bucks would have zero chance at ever drawing a superstar, let alone stars
With all this being stated, it is my personal belief that there is nothing in Milwaukee that is keeping the Bucks there, outside the expensive move(?) Therefore, in my humblest of opinions, I believe the Bucks should take advantage of this horrible season, and new ownership and get some excitement going and move the Bucks out west to Seattle!
The Possible Outcome:
I am going to tell you all right now that even the thought of this is giving me goosebumps. I have been, and will always be a strong advocate for getting the Sonics back. Why you may ask? Oh, I don’t know, maybe because they are the coolest franchise ever!!! The sight of those colors, and that logo should have every basketball fan’s knees giving out.
Enough of this gushing, I am sure you are all wondering why the Bucks should move to Seattle. Well, there are a lot of reasons, but to name a few….
1) Seattle, the city, has been pushing for an NBA team to come back to them for a long while, and this should not be news to anyone watching the Kings saga last year. Seattle has been pushing hard, and has even put up the funding and space for a new arena (hence the “?” by expensive move a few paragraph’s back). Therefore, the new owners of the Bucks would not have to fork out as much money as they would if they were moving to a city that quite frankly was not as passionate as Seattle.
2) Passionate, that is another reason why the Bucks should be moving to Seattle. Those Seattle fans are sports fans. From the record breakers at the Seahawks games, to the passionate soccer watchers over with the Sounders. Hell, their baseball team has been crap the past few years and those fans are still coming out to watch their team play. If the owners of the Bucks decide to move to Seattle, they would instantly have more support, attendance and revenue coming in that Milwaukee has not seen in quite a few years.
3) Money. Money is king and to be honest, all that really matters in situations like these. Those tag team owners from New York should expect to be rolling in it if they move their team to Seattle. From merchandise, that still sells well right now may I add, to ticket sales everything and anything will be making those two a butt load of money. They will not only see money from their own marketing, but from superstars as well. NBA stars have been advocating for Seattle to come back and I guarantee you all that within the first few years of Seattle’s existence they would draw at least one superstar. Superstars, sell seats and merchandise and that means money. Those owners would be making bank moving to Seattle and they could easily see a return on their investment of $550 million within 5 years.
The ultimate question it comes down to is why not? No other city wanting an NBA team can offer what Seattle is, and the Bucks sure as hell can’t. Everyone in the league supports the Sonics coming back into the fold so why not? Could you imagine seeing opening night at that new Seattle stadium when they bring back the likes of Gary Payton, Lenny Wilkens, Kevin Durant, Ray Allen etc. coming back to see that new team off? Not only that, but the bringing back of the SuperSonics will have major effects around the league. For one thing, the Oklahoma City Thunder would become their own franchise and not linked to Seattle anymore, and thereby making Kevin Durant a record holder in pretty much everything. But the MASSIVE thing brought about by this is a conference imbalance, meaning a conference realignment. With Seattle clearly having to be in the West, then a team like the Grizzlies, Pelicans, or Timberwolves would come East and instantly make the East more competitive.
Obviously, this is just a pipe dream at the moment, but if it were to happen, it would be amazing in every sense of the word.
So what do you all think? Do you agree? Do you want the Bucks to stay put? Do you want them to move to a different city? What is your opinion, we want to hear it! We want all feedback and comments to make us better and give you all better material. We ask that you also Like us on Facebook, Follow on Twitter, and Subscribe on Reddit.
All stats and information courtesy of espn.com